Buttermilk Panna Cotta with Strawberry Jam
Joyce Fikri from the St. Louis Dairy Council is here to show us how to make Buttermilk Panna Cotta with Strawberry Jam
((Makes 6 servings))
For panna cotta:
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
For strawberry jam:
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced in half and mashed.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Put 1/2 cup buttermilk in a bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Let the gelatin soften for 5 minutes.
- Pour the remaining buttermilk and heavy cream in a saucepan and place over medium heat. Whisk in the sugar until dissolved. Bring to a simmer; add the gelatin mixture and stir until dissolved.
- Divide mixture among 6 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator until set, at least 3 hours or overnight.
- To make the jam, combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and stir. Cook for about 10 minutes, until the strawberry juices and sugar form a syrup and the berries are soft. Stir in the butter until it melts; transfer to a bowl to cool. Refrigerate at least 3 hours to set the jam.
- Spoon some of the jam over the panna cotta before serving.