Mushroom Beef Sloppy Joes
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (WICS) —
Melanie Kluzek, registered dietitian from County Market, joins us in the kitchen to show us how to make mushroom beef sloppy joes.
Prep/Cook Time: 30 minutes Number of Servings: 4
8 oz white button mushrooms, rinsed
8 oz cremini mushrooms, rinsed
¼ lb 90% lean ground beef
1½ tbsp canola oil
½ cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 8oz can no-salt-added tomato sauce
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cider vinegar
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
4 whole wheat buns
1. Chop mushrooms to approximate size and texture of cooked ground beef.
2. Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat.
3. Add ground beef and mushrooms, and cook. Sauté until ground beef is done.
4. Remove mushroom-beef mixture from pan. Add the oil, onions and garlic to pan; cook until golden.
5. Return mushroom-beef mixture to pan, along remaining ingredients expect for buns.
6. Simmer about 10 minutes then remove from heat and serve on whole wheat buns with mustard and dill pickle relish on the side.
Nutrition Facts (per serving):
Calories: 280 Protein: 13gm Total Carbohydrates: 37gm Total Fat: 11gm
Fiber: 6gm Cholesterol: 20mg Sodium: 240mg
Recipe courtesy of Produce for Better Health Foundation