3 bald eagles die after testing positive for lead poisoning in 2 weeks
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (WCCU) —
The third bald eagle died Friday morning.
For the third time in just over two weeks a bald eagle testing positive for lead poisoning is a patient at the wildlife medical clinic in Champaign.
The patient arrived at the clinic on Tuesday night with extremely high lead levels.
He was found in Charleston. The other two bald eagle patients were found in Decatur and Lowpoint.
Neither of the other eagles that were treated for lead toxicity survived.
The current patient's health is poor, but that's not stopping the clinic from attempting treatment.
A clinic veterinarian says it's unusual for there to be such a large amount of lead ingestion outsude of hunting season.