MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Kitchen fire closes Urbana Restaurant

Fire crews in Urbana spent several hours at the restaurant saying most of the fire was concentrated on a vent hood. (WCCU)

A kitchen fire Thursday morning closed down Sitara restaurant in Urbana for the foreseeable future.

Fire crews in Urbana spent several hours at the restaurant saying most of the fire was concentrated on a vent hood. Parts of the walls and ceiling had to be knocked out to make sure the fire was completely out.

“First thing we do we size up the fire and we get a line on the fire and that's what the first crew did,” fire chief, Brian Knightlinger said. “Then we checked the floor above, but as soon as we can we secure the utilities namely the gas and the electric and it just gets rid of some of the hazards in the building.”

There were people inside the restaurant when the fire happened. No injuries were reported, but no word on when the business may reopen.

Trending