Five People Displaced by House Fire in Springfield

Fire crews were called to 2600 Griffiths Ave. just after 2 a.m. Friday. (WRSP)

Springfield Fire Marshal Chris Richmond says two adults and three children are displaced following an early-morning house fire on Springfield's north-end.

Fire crews were called to the 2600 block of Griffiths Ave. after 2 a.m Friday.

Springfield Fire Marshal J. Chris Richmond says having a working smoke alarm saved their lives.

"Early investigation this appears to be accidental. And we always want to make sure - these fires happen in the middle of the night," Richmond said. "We always want to make sure we've got working smoke alarms in our homes. That's quite likely what saved this family's life tonight."

The fire started in the kitchen and has been ruled accidental. We’re told it appears unattended cooking was the culprit.

The home suffered extensive damage.

The American Red Cross is assisting the family.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off