Summer Program Will Feed Kids Twice A Day For Free
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (WRSP) —
With the school year coming to an end, plans are in place to keep kids healthy during the summer. A lot of kids get their breakfast and lunch at school during the school year, so District 186 provides for those students who may not be able to get any at home during the summer.
Superintendent Jennifer Gill announced the district's summer food program at the school board meeting Monday night. Breakfast and lunch will be provided every day for any kid 18 and younger.
Whether it's because of money or time, it can be a struggle sometimes for parents to provide every single meal for their children. With this program, local families won't have to worry. "It's something that I feel is very important to school-aged children to be fed healthy food, be fed on a regular basis," said Superintendent Gill. "Families have that option to receive those free meals. It's going to take the pressure off of them in another way."
Students do not have to be enrolled in the district or in a summer school program to get those free meals. The money for this program comes from federal funds.
Here's more information on where and when meals will be served:
- Edwin Lee Elementary, 1201 Bunn Avenue June 8th - June 30th 8:00 - 8:30 11:30 - 12:00
- Feitshans Elementary, 1101 S. 15th Street June 5th - June 30th 7:30 - 8:00 10:30 - 11:00
- Butler Elementary, 1701 S. MacArthur June 5th - August 11th 8:00 - 8:30 11:30 - 12:00
- Wanless Elementary, 2120 E. Reservoir Street June 5th - August 11th 8:00 - 8:30 11:30 - 12:00
- Ridgely Elementary, 2040 N. 8th Street June 26th - August 4th 8:00 - 8:30 11:30 - 12:00
- Lanphier High School, 1300 N. 11th Street June 26th - July 27th, No meals served on Friday's or July 3rd 8:00 - 8:30 12:30 - 1:00
- Southeast High School, 2350 E. Ash Street June 5th - July 18th, No meals served on Friday's or July 3rd 8:00 - 8:30 12:30 - 1:00
- Iles Elementary, 1700 S. 15th Street June 19th - July 28th 9:00 - 9:30 11:30 - 12:00
- Washington Middle School, 2300 E. Jackson Street June 19th - July 28th 9:00 - 9:30 11:30 - 12:00
- Matheny-Withrow Elementary, 1200 Pope Street July 24th - August 11th 8:30 - 9:00 11:00 - 11:30
Also at Monday night's meeting, the board approved a few administrative changes. The new Principal at Southeast High School will be Lyn Williams who has been the Assistant Principal at Lanphier for four years. The new Principal at Owen Marsh Elementary will be Wendy Conaway, who is the Assistant Principal at Dubois.