PANA, Ill. (WRSP) — The Christian County Coroner is now releasing the names of the two children who died in a Pana house fire on Sunday: 2-year-old Ellaina Emerson, and her little brother, 3-month-old Keith Emerson.
Their father is still recovering from severe burn injuries sustained while trying to save them.
Preliminary autopsy results show the two children died from carbon monoxide intoxication from the soot and smoke of the house fire.
The two were upstairs in bed, when the flames erupted.
Now the family is receiving support from the American Red Cross.
The Springfield Fire Marshall said he hopes this tragedy will show other families fire safety is a necessary concern.
The fire broke out early Sunday morning in the 800 block of East Second Street.
The state fire marshal’s office is still investigating this case. They say the fire seems to have come from an electrical problem.
Moving forward, the American Red Cross advises everyone to download their smart phone app to get prepared and have a fire plan.
This is not the first child death in a house fire for Sangamon county and the surrounding counties. There have been at least five so far in just this past few months.