Officer-involved shooting leaves Danville man dead

One dead following overnight domestic disturbance in Danville. (File photo)


The Vermilion County Coroner identified the 34-year-old man as Danathe M. Gulliford. The coroner said the name was being withheld until the family could be notified.

An autopsy was performed Tuesday and results are pending.

Illinois State Police and The Vermilion County Coroner's Office are still investigating.


One man is dead after being shot by police in Danville.

Police said a 34-year-old Danville man had a gun in his hand and ignored the officers’ orders to drop it.

It all happened a little before 2 A.M. this morning when officers were responding to a domestic disturbance call in the 600 Block of Sherman Street.

“I got up to look out my window and there was nothing but cops everywhere," said neighbor Kathy Rennaker who woke up from the gunshots.

Police said a call came in of a man threatening two people, a 43-year-old man and a 39-year-old woman, in their home with a gun. They said he left the house in his car. Police said the man and woman involved in the disturbance received injuries.

Officers then spotted that car a couple blocks away on Harmon Street and pulled it over.

They said they asked the man to exist the car and show his hands.

“He did not comply with the orders but did exist the vehicle and was seen with a firearm in his hand,” said Larry Thomason, director of Danville Public Safety Department.

That's when police said the two officers fired at the man who was later pronounced dead.

Thomason said both officers involved were placed on leave saying one is a veteran officer and the other one is in training. Neither of the officers were hurt during the shooting.

“I will keep them on leave for as long as it is necessary based upon their reaction and how they are taking the incident themselves,” Thomason said. “As you can imagine, a very traumatic incident. Not something any police officer looks forward to."

Police said the last police-involved shooting was more than three years ago. They said the department has had previous contact with the victim but couldn't say more.

Illinois State Police are now in charge of the investigation and are working with the Vermilion County State's Attorney's Office.

Members from the NAACP local chapter were also present at that press conference today in the wake of the shooting, along with ministers and leaders of the Three Kings of Peace.

"We ourselves need to stand down until the pending of the investigation and even after that we need to continue to keep peace within Danville," said Ed Butler, president of Danville NACCP Chapter.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off